Wednesday, January 1, 2014

It's a new year....

Picea pungens v. glauca
I want to start the year off right...I want to make a pledge (just to myself since no one else knows this blog exists) to write something here at least once a week, even if I haven't taken any new photos in the County.

So here's the first post of 2014, featuring a photo on my property taken by my friend Terry Shewchuck.  It's a Colorado Blue Spruce (Picea pungens var. glauca -- another pledge, to try and use botanical names as much as possible) I purchased seven years ago.  It was a foot high then.  This past summer it reached about seven feet - so a foot a year on average.  I mostly try to use Picea glauca - the native White Spruce - but couldn't resist this fellow when it was tiny and terribly blue.  Since then friends have given me a few additional Blue Spruces (after using them as small living Christmas trees).  One particular White Spruce on the  property grows much faster , in some years as much as a metre.  Pictures to follow.


No comments: