Friday, July 18, 2014

Construction begins - and something new on The Mound

It's hard for me to believe, and I really won't believe it until I walk through a front door, but The Prince Edward Group (my husband's company) has started construction on the new homestead in The County.  Architectural technician Pegi Amos and excavator Paul Greer came over to stake out the foundation.  After much discussion about drainage, direction and septic fields, the four stakes were pounded into the ground (through the very few inches they could go before hitting stone) and voila!  Step One done!

If you look closely you may see the four stakes in the ground.  Looking from the road towards the back of the field.


Looking down towards the road.  That's the well right up front.

(Gaillardia x grandiflora)









A happy surprise this summer was the emergence and quite spectacular blooming of these Blanket Flowers (Gaillardia x grandiflora).  I harvested seeds from the Leslie Street spit (Tommy Thompson Park) a few years ago and threw them all over the Mound.  Hopefully they'll self seed a bit.  On the spit, where the 'soil' started life as concrete landfill, these flowers only grow to about six inches or so.  On the Mound they're reaching 18 inches -- I guess I can't complain anymore about how horrible the soil is here eh?

No comments: